Treat Your Acne Vulgaris at Home
Februari 7, 2008
Treatment at home can help reduce acne flare-ups.
* Wash your face (or other affected skin) gently once or twice a day.
* Do not squeeze pimples, because that often leads to infections, worse acne, and scars.
* Use water-based skin care products that gently clean your skin. Avoid products such as milky cleansers, cold creams, lipsticks, and lip glosses that contain oils.
* Use nonprescription medicated creams, soaps, lotions, and gels to treat your acne. Always read the label carefully to make sure you are using the product correctly.
Examples of some nonprescription products used to treat acne include:
* Benzoyl peroxide (Benoxyl, Benzac, Clearasil), which unplugs pores.
* Alpha-hydroxy acid, which dries up blemishes and causes the top skin layer to peel. You’ll find alpha-hydroxy acid in moisturizers, cleansers, eye creams, and sunscreens.
* Salicylic acid (Clearasil, Propa pH, Stri-Dex), which dries up blemishes and causes the top skin layer to peel.
* Tea tree oil, which kills bacteria. You’ll find tea tree oil in gels, creams, and oils.
Other products that may help your overall skin condition include skin pore-cleaning strips. When you peel off these bandagelike strips from your skin, dirt and makeup stick to the strip.
You’ll have better results if you follow the directions for using topical medications. If you use a product too often, acne can get worse.